Skip to main content

Trestle table!

I would like to apologize for skipping last week.  I really did want to post my progress on the Trestle table but I was so busy.  I can't really tell you what I was busy doing because frankly I don't recall.  I do know that I was too busy to get gas.  This afternoon, after I had strapped the boys in their seats I went to start my car, as I usually do when I need to go somewhere, and low and behold, it did not start.  I immediately diagnosed my car as needing an alternator.  Did you know I was a mechanic too?  Well, chaos ensued in our household and then my husband insulted me with the idea that I might not have any gas in the soccer van.  Of all the... I always have gas... I pay attention to what goes on around me...I'm not careless... 2 hours later... maybe I don't have gas.  Thank goodness for my mom who saved the day with...yup you guessed it... GAS! Sorry Marty. 

Now. What was I talking about?  Oh, right.  The trestle table.  Let me tell you about this table.  There were points during this project when I was in tears.   You see, there were angles involved in this bad boy. All I remember about angles is sine cosine tangent.  And what I remember most is that I failed that class.  You know the one with that ugly green textbook (for all you new yorkers).  I also don't have a miter saw. But I did find this great video that showed me how to cut using a carpenter square on ehow.com.   However, something went wrong because I lost about 2 inches in height on the table.  It probably has to do with me doing it at a wrong angle, causing the legs to be too wide.  Lesson learned.
 
 Now it's time to put the table top and get this ball rolling.  It wasn't wobbling. I added some extra reinforcements. Perfect! Or so I thought.
 I get the darn thing inside and wouldn't you know... I can fit my hand under one leg!!!!
 So of course that must mean that the floor isn't leveled.  Nope. Not quite.  But I battled on and just put a little piece of wood under it.  Perfect!

Then it was time to paint it. I went with Minwax wood finish in Dark Walnut.  And you know what I learned?  That finishing stinks.  No really. It does.  So the table was banished back out to the patio.  What's with the weird rectangle?
I had originally toyed with the idea of making the whole table top a chalkboard.  It eliminates paper waste right? No scrap paper.  Just write on the table.  But then the thought of touching a blackboard with my whole arm just almost made me lose my mind.  You know what I'm talking about.  My ears are aching from the thought.  My friend Mari suggested that I put the chalkboard in the middle and I thought it was brilliant.  I know you all think I'm super smart, but I get most of my ideas from other people.  Call me Steve Jobs.

 While I'm working diligently to get this table ready there is a whole lot going on behind me.  J is productive making his own little chalkboards.  And C, well, he is prepping himself for some trouble.





The table gets finished and put back in it's new home.  We officially have a home school room as per J's wishes.  I thank God for the blessing of having a spare room that we could even have this in.



 I do love the way this came out and I can't wait to try them out tomorrow.  I have to thank the ladies over at Shanty2Chic and Ana White for the plans and ideas.  Can't wait to see what else you have in store for me.  Maybe I'll make the farm table for Natalie.  Or maybe I'll just take a break and make a scarf and hat.



Comments

  1. This table and the box stools are great! What a wonderful school room. You Rock Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so very proud of you!!! So awesome! And I love the school room. Who knew you were such a great blogger!!! LOVE your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! You are awesome lady. I hope Marty is reading this so he can see your apology, which was very humble and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AH-MAZ-ING! Definitely the farm table next! Who needs another hat and scarf?!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the whole gas story! classic. But be careful making Steve Jobs comments with our certain obsessed friend reading. (@andrea) You might bring on an episode. ;-)
    Seriously, I love the whole room. I'm so impressed and proud of you for doing such a great job and persevering through the learning experiences. Love you, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. J is following in his Mommy's carpenter footsteps!
    So cute!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why Football Players Should Pick-up a Handicraft

This past week has been crazy in the world of sports, especially football.   Did you know that since this past Super Bowl 27 players have been arrested ? Three were just last week.  It's just crazy.  What's going on fellas? I mean seriously.  I get it.  Football is an extremely aggressive sport.  But why can't they leave all that crazy on the field?  When did it get like this?  Are there any classy players out there? I'm sure there are. Do you know who comes to mind when I think of classy football players? Rosie Grier .  Do you know him? My mom is always talking about him. He is a defensive lineman who played for the NY Giants from 1955-1962.  He also played with the Rams from 1963-67.  He would later become a body guard for Robert Kennedy.  Although he was not guarding Kennedy on the day of his assassination,  he was the one that took the gun from the assassin.   He was guarding Mrs. Kennedy that day.  There is your history lesson for the day.    He is not only kn

When Motherhood and Sorrow Meet

I've never been a loyal sports team fan like my brothers.  We were born and breed in NY.  My mom is a METS fan, my one brother Yankees, Knicks and Giants and my youngest brother strangely enough is a Broncos fan.  I'm more like my dad when it comes to sports.  My dad enjoys any sport that has a Puerto Rican on the team.  " ¿ Ve ese ah í ? ¡Él es boricua!" You see that guy there? He's Puerto Rican.  And that's pretty much how I have followed and enjoyed sports ever since.  I love hearing their stories and how they grew to love the sport they played, whether it be on the island or a local worn down ball field or court on the block.  More recently I have been following tennis thanks to Monica Puig.  Being the mother of two boys I decided to really get into sports, for their sakes of course.  There are  two stations on in our crazyvan, KLOVE and ESPN .   I love listening to The Herd .  Colin Cowherd is just right up my alley.  My kids laugh at Steven A. Smith ,

The cubbies are here! And a child's prayer

Happy Thursday! The weekend is almost here.  But then in the words of Lady Grantham , "What is a weekend?"  I've been re-watching all the episodes from Season 1 Downton Abbey this week. I must be prepared for Season 3 which is just a couple of months away. Check the trailer out here . But I do feel like weekends don't really exist. We do just as much running around on Saturdays and Sundays as we do during the week and Hubby is always in work mode.  I vow to slow down.  Maybe starting tomorrow.  There is too much to do today. In the mist of all the busy, Hubby and I celebrated our 5 year wedding anniversary.  I feel blessed.  We didn't do anything extravagant.  We watched an episode of Psych together, which has become our favorite show and thing to do these days.  I'm so blessed to have this life.  There are so many other roads I could have taken.  But this is where I want to be.  This is where I have always wanted to be, even through all the crazy.  But m