Skip to main content

Pickin' ain't easy and ain't Perfect

Do you ever watch "American Pickers" or go on those blogs that show this amazing transformation of a piece of garbage and just wish you could do that or think that you can? Well I do.  And even though I said I was going to take a break from furniture I sort of didn't.

I tend to bite off more than I can chew and that was the case this past weekend.  Driving through the neighborhood I found, what I thought was this amazing old hutch and couldn't believe someone was actually throwing it away.  I drove by it and thought "Nah".  The closer I got to home the more I wanted it and convinced myself that this would be the piece that changed it all. So I went back to get it and stuffed that crazy object into the back of the minivan with the help of my sidekick, Mom.  As soon as I drove away I began to suffer from "pickers remorse".  I'm not sure if that's an actual condition but that's definitely what I had. 

When I saw this piece I was so excited to bring it back to life.  Then I realized that there was a reason someone threw it out.  It was GARBAGE!!!  Turns out it was made of MDF wood and plastic and badly damaged and it smelled.  SWEET! Now what? 
 There was no way I was going to keep this in my mom's garage until next spring when bulk pickup came back around. So I did the next best thing.  I got my hand saw.  I was going to have some fun with this. Then, the battery died. So I did something even better than use my saw. I kicked it to death. It was so damaged it died within seconds.  Pickin' party over.

Next day I decided I needed to stick to my original plan of  making myself a hat and scarf.  Now that I'm over my fear of circular saws I needed to get over my fear of the circular needle. I went over it with Eve who assured me that it wouldn't be hard.  But after a couple of tries I was about to give up and just make a hat on regular needles when my friend Brett made a great point to me.  She reminded me that we are always trying to teach our children to just go for it and not worry if what they are making isn't perfect the first time.  Yet we don't try things for fear of it not coming out perfect. That was the little push I needed to finish my hat. I needed to practice what I preached.
 
That little statement lead me to reflect on my relationship with God. There are so many days when I wake up doing all the right things.  Then one little missed step, one small trial and I completely give up and feel like I'm not good enough to continue.  I'm not perfect and never will be in this life but I thank God for Jesus who is because it is through Him that I have the confidence to try again.


After taking that hat apart about 5 times I decided to press on. I caught up on most of Psych Season 6 and had some fun.  It's a little big, okay really big,  but it's almost perfect.  And I made it. You can find the pattern here if you're interested.
Have a blessed weekend.  I'm off to make a matching scarf.  Go make something.  Don't forget to give yourself some grace, maybe a push and press on!

Blessings,
S. Vanessa

Purpose of the Mystery

To me, who am less than the least of all the saints, this grace was given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ, and to make all see what is the fellowship[a] of the mystery, which from the beginning of the ages has been hidden in God who created all things through Jesus Christ;[b] 10 to the intent that now the manifold wisdom of God might be made known by the church to the principalities and powers in the heavenly places, 11 according to the eternal purpose which He accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord, 12 in whom we have boldness and access with confidence through faith in Him. 13 Therefore I ask that you do not lose heart at my tribulations for you, which is your glory.~Ephesians 3:8-13

Comments

  1. It's awesome! And I have definitely had pickers' remorse, so you are not alone!! Speaking of that, wanna go pick through my garage and see if you want anything before it's in the POD? No returns!! lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why Football Players Should Pick-up a Handicraft

This past week has been crazy in the world of sports, especially football.   Did you know that since this past Super Bowl 27 players have been arrested ? Three were just last week.  It's just crazy.  What's going on fellas? I mean seriously.  I get it.  Football is an extremely aggressive sport.  But why can't they leave all that crazy on the field?  When did it get like this?  Are there any classy players out there? I'm sure there are. Do you know who comes to mind when I think of classy football players? Rosie Grier .  Do you know him? My mom is always talking about him. He is a defensive lineman who played for the NY Giants from 1955-1962.  He also played with the Rams from 1963-67.  He would later become a body guard for Robert Kennedy.  Although he was not guarding Kennedy on the day of his assassination,  he was the one that took the gun from the assassin.   He was guarding Mrs. Kennedy that day.  There is your history lesson for the day.    He is not only kn

When Motherhood and Sorrow Meet

I've never been a loyal sports team fan like my brothers.  We were born and breed in NY.  My mom is a METS fan, my one brother Yankees, Knicks and Giants and my youngest brother strangely enough is a Broncos fan.  I'm more like my dad when it comes to sports.  My dad enjoys any sport that has a Puerto Rican on the team.  " ¿ Ve ese ah í ? ¡Él es boricua!" You see that guy there? He's Puerto Rican.  And that's pretty much how I have followed and enjoyed sports ever since.  I love hearing their stories and how they grew to love the sport they played, whether it be on the island or a local worn down ball field or court on the block.  More recently I have been following tennis thanks to Monica Puig.  Being the mother of two boys I decided to really get into sports, for their sakes of course.  There are  two stations on in our crazyvan, KLOVE and ESPN .   I love listening to The Herd .  Colin Cowherd is just right up my alley.  My kids laugh at Steven A. Smith ,

Trestle table!

I would like to apologize for skipping last week.  I really did want to post my progress on the Trestle table but I was so busy.  I can't really tell you what I was busy doing because frankly I don't recall.  I do know that I was too busy to get gas.  This afternoon, after I had strapped the boys in their seats I went to start my car, as I usually do when I need to go somewhere, and low and behold, it did not start.  I immediately diagnosed my car as needing an alternator.  Did you know I was a mechanic too?  Well, chaos ensued in our household and then my husband insulted me with the idea that I might not have any gas in the soccer van.  Of all the... I always have gas... I pay attention to what goes on around me...I'm not careless... 2 hours later... maybe I don't have gas.  Thank goodness for my mom who saved the day with...yup you guessed it... GAS! Sorry Marty.  Now. What was I talking about?  Oh, right.  The trestle table .  Let me tell you about this table.