Skip to main content

The Greatest Gift

This past weekend I had the honor and privilege of doing a reading at my dear friend Christy's wedding.  I was asked to read the ever beautiful 1 Corinthians 13, you know the one, "love is patient, love is kind." 
Now soak this image in.  It's very rare that my hair is brushed, I have on make-up and I'm in a dress all at the same time.



I reread this chapter this morning out of my NKJV bible and love when the Lord reveals something new to me right when I think I've learned it all (which happens to be a lot so I need to get over myself).  v4"Love suffers long and is kind".  I stared at the verse for what felt like an eternity.  But  I stared at v5 even longer, "does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil." 

Guilty on all charges.

Why do I think that because I love and am loved that I will not suffer or be the root of someone elses suffering? And who am I to be complaining? No one in the history of the world suffered more than Jesus Christ.  When I think of His physical suffering on the cross it turns my stomach and brings me to tears.  And as a mother I am drawn to the image of Mary watching her son.  Oh how she must have suffered.


"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." John 3:16

Until this weekend I thought I knew what love was.  My husband always says "love is an action" and I always say, "yea,yea I know".  But I'm convicted and reminded that I am not truly practicing that agape love.  

"does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil."

I can behave very rudely, I seek my own, I am easily provoked and yes, I have thought evil things.  I am a sinner.

I was with faced with what love really is.  Love is being kind through the hurt.  Love is forgiveness.  Love is reconciliation.  Love is getting over our hurts and our selfish wants.  Love requires faith.  Faith that God will work all those things out in His perfect time.   If I truly love, the way Jesus did on that cross, I can avoid causing suffering.  I have to let go of the hurts and give out the love, as hard as that is.  

My goal this week is to LOVE.  The way Christ loves the church, His bride.  And that brings me back to my beautiful friends.  May the Lord bless them.  May they seek Him always.  May they learn to forgive and reconcile. May they speak in love to each other.  And may they love each other all the days of their lives.  


Love is friendships that last a lifetime 
Don't let the pretty dresses fool you.  We keeps it gangsta.  Not really.  Okay sometimes.  Only when we have to.

Love is taking a picture with your hair a mess and make-up worn off for your love.  It's also a sign of a great wedding! Remember when I told you having it all together was rare?


Love is working through the struggles and being able to laugh at them and make more memories. I love you M and J!


"And now abide faith, hope, love, these three: but the greatest of these is love. "
~ 1 Corinthians  

What's your goal for this week? 

Blessings, 
S. Vanessa













Comments

  1. I'm starting a long weekend away with my wife, Licethy. Licethy and I have not been alone for more than 24 hours in over two and a half years. We have four kids of our own, and I have a 16 year old son. Although my son lives with his mother, we are still very close and we (my wife and our kids) are very much a part of his life (maybe more than he prefers sometimes, lol). Our lives are all very busy. We both work full time jobs, and Licethy has her own business and hasnt quit her job yet. Her business is doing awesome! (www.gentletouchct.com, cheap plug, lol). Additionally, we own and self manage 3 rental properties. Our weekends are filled with trips to see family and friends across the tri-state area ( last weekend alone I travelled with 3 kids to Trumbull CT, Tarrytown, Bronx, Mammaroneck, City Island, Queens, Bronx, Elmsford, Trumbull, and back home. If we're not doing that, then it probably means that I'm in Long Island to see my son Ryan play football or lacrosse, or bringing him to a lacrosse tournament in NY, NJ, or PA. These are average weekends for us. A weekday loks something like this,
    Monday - Licethy works her regular finance job during the day and at night takes electrolysis appointments.
    Tuesday - Jason has karate, so one of us will take him and let Isabella tag along while the other one stays with Alex (2 yrs) and Julian (1 yrs).
    Wednesday - Licethy works in NYC for the day, but Jason and Isa have soccer practice after work, so I hustle home to get all four of the kids loaded up into the truck to bring Jason and Isa to practice while i try to occupy the other two for an hour.
    Thursday - karate for Jason again, same deal as Tuesday.
    Friday - Isabella has gymnastics- pretty much like a Tuesday or Thursday routine.

    Our time can be stressful, even when things move smoothly around the house and Licethy and I have been fighting more than I would like to lately. My wife and I both posses A-type personalities, so fighting is just going to happen. But, my goal this weekend is to have a nice, relaxing 4 days away with my wife. I aim to be patient, loving and relaxed in everyting we do during our time away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said..I miss u soo..and i love u way more than i miss u!! My friend forevermy sister for all eternity!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. V, First of all, you look HOT! In all of the pics! Well worth whatever time it took to brush your hair and put on a dress and makeup. ;-) Second, this message is very touching to me right now especially. You know I'm struggling at home and I need to infuse active love into my days to get through this slump. You can bet I'm coming back to reread this when everyone is in bed and I have no distractions! Love you, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great post! Reading it made me feel honored be your friend because I know that your friendship, like everything about you is "real". I love the picture of you and your man. You are gorgeous, inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you write just as you would say it IRL :) Keep it gangsta, sistah. But only when you have to.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why Football Players Should Pick-up a Handicraft

This past week has been crazy in the world of sports, especially football.   Did you know that since this past Super Bowl 27 players have been arrested ? Three were just last week.  It's just crazy.  What's going on fellas? I mean seriously.  I get it.  Football is an extremely aggressive sport.  But why can't they leave all that crazy on the field?  When did it get like this?  Are there any classy players out there? I'm sure there are. Do you know who comes to mind when I think of classy football players? Rosie Grier .  Do you know him? My mom is always talking about him. He is a defensive lineman who played for the NY Giants from 1955-1962.  He also played with the Rams from 1963-67.  He would later become a body guard for Robert Kennedy.  Although he was not guarding Kennedy on the day of his assassination,  he was the one that took the gun from the assassin.   He was guarding Mrs. Kennedy that day.  There is your history lesson for the day.    He is not only kn

When Motherhood and Sorrow Meet

I've never been a loyal sports team fan like my brothers.  We were born and breed in NY.  My mom is a METS fan, my one brother Yankees, Knicks and Giants and my youngest brother strangely enough is a Broncos fan.  I'm more like my dad when it comes to sports.  My dad enjoys any sport that has a Puerto Rican on the team.  " ¿ Ve ese ah í ? ¡Él es boricua!" You see that guy there? He's Puerto Rican.  And that's pretty much how I have followed and enjoyed sports ever since.  I love hearing their stories and how they grew to love the sport they played, whether it be on the island or a local worn down ball field or court on the block.  More recently I have been following tennis thanks to Monica Puig.  Being the mother of two boys I decided to really get into sports, for their sakes of course.  There are  two stations on in our crazyvan, KLOVE and ESPN .   I love listening to The Herd .  Colin Cowherd is just right up my alley.  My kids laugh at Steven A. Smith ,

Trestle table!

I would like to apologize for skipping last week.  I really did want to post my progress on the Trestle table but I was so busy.  I can't really tell you what I was busy doing because frankly I don't recall.  I do know that I was too busy to get gas.  This afternoon, after I had strapped the boys in their seats I went to start my car, as I usually do when I need to go somewhere, and low and behold, it did not start.  I immediately diagnosed my car as needing an alternator.  Did you know I was a mechanic too?  Well, chaos ensued in our household and then my husband insulted me with the idea that I might not have any gas in the soccer van.  Of all the... I always have gas... I pay attention to what goes on around me...I'm not careless... 2 hours later... maybe I don't have gas.  Thank goodness for my mom who saved the day with...yup you guessed it... GAS! Sorry Marty.  Now. What was I talking about?  Oh, right.  The trestle table .  Let me tell you about this table.