Skip to main content

That perfect cut

I'm so thankful this morning for power.  Last night we had tornado warnings and wind advisories.  And to answer your question, no, we do not live in Kansas or Tornado Alley.  We live in New York. It's been crazy.  I'm listening to the lovely sounds of backup generators and chain saws while sipping my decaf/caf cup of Bustelo.

I thought by now I would have my trestle table and cubby seats complete from Ana White and Shanty2Chic but I have been super overwhelmed and busy with homeschooling, which, by the way, has been going well.  The tough one is my 2 year old who needs to be kept busy ALL the time.  Monday we experienced our first crayon stuck up the nose.  That's always fun.

That's BBJ on the left and BBC on the right.  Now you know what I'm working with!

So although I haven't finished my project something major happened.  I conquered my fear of the handsaw, ALL BY MYSELF.  As my friend Layla pointed out, I should have practiced with the kids on how to call 9-1-1.  Thankfully that did not have to happen.  But I did give them a safety lesson for the day:

Always hopscotch with your safety goggles on.  Safety first!

Then there was this nugget to getting the perfect square:
 Can you guess what this is?  It's a quilting square! sorry guys.  I don't know what was going on this day. I'm not sure if I was tired, my carpenter square was off, or I was rushing to beat the rain.  I'm going to blame it on the carpenter square.  So I ran in the house and grabbed this.  I love when things are multifunctional.

Part of my problem this day was that I was thinking too much.  I had a lot going on, mostly having to do with people that were not even my family.  So I had to ask, "Lord, what are you telling me with all of this?"  Then I realized that that wood, with all it's imperfections and knots was me, and I was busy making crooked cuts.  I was trying to make those straight lines and cuts on my own, and I was making a mess of things (Andrea reminded me that we, as in me too, are messy crazy people).  But I needed that perfect edge and a grid to make me straight.  That perfect edge was my Lord and that grid was my Bible.  What did the Word have to say?  
               He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.~ John 15:2

I needed to be pruned bad.  And then I read this from Sally Clarkson and realized I needed a new life verse:
            Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you,  so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.~ 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

So, although I didn't finish my table, I was blessed with an answer I had been looking for.  It's okay to lead a quiet life.  A quiet life yields more fruit, at least in this season of my life.  I needed to refocus on the important things and start cutting out the unnecessary and the things that were not bearing fruit. 

My encouragement for you today is to lead a quiet life and let God make the cuts and straighten out those crazy lines. 

Be blessed, 
S. Vanessa




Comments

  1. aww, I love this so much. I love how you allowed his word to sharpen and guide you. and i love you! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra The Tool Woman... I can't wait to see this table and chairs. Plus, I want to borrow your Kreg Jig, so get it poppin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a talented person and a gift to all of us. I love you! And I'm honored I got a shout out! lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why Football Players Should Pick-up a Handicraft

This past week has been crazy in the world of sports, especially football.   Did you know that since this past Super Bowl 27 players have been arrested ? Three were just last week.  It's just crazy.  What's going on fellas? I mean seriously.  I get it.  Football is an extremely aggressive sport.  But why can't they leave all that crazy on the field?  When did it get like this?  Are there any classy players out there? I'm sure there are. Do you know who comes to mind when I think of classy football players? Rosie Grier .  Do you know him? My mom is always talking about him. He is a defensive lineman who played for the NY Giants from 1955-1962.  He also played with the Rams from 1963-67.  He would later become a body guard for Robert Kennedy.  Although he was not guarding Kennedy on the day of his assassination,  he was the one that took the gun from the assassin.   He was guarding Mrs. Kennedy that day.  There is your history lesson for the day.    He is not only kn

When Motherhood and Sorrow Meet

I've never been a loyal sports team fan like my brothers.  We were born and breed in NY.  My mom is a METS fan, my one brother Yankees, Knicks and Giants and my youngest brother strangely enough is a Broncos fan.  I'm more like my dad when it comes to sports.  My dad enjoys any sport that has a Puerto Rican on the team.  " ¿ Ve ese ah í ? ¡Él es boricua!" You see that guy there? He's Puerto Rican.  And that's pretty much how I have followed and enjoyed sports ever since.  I love hearing their stories and how they grew to love the sport they played, whether it be on the island or a local worn down ball field or court on the block.  More recently I have been following tennis thanks to Monica Puig.  Being the mother of two boys I decided to really get into sports, for their sakes of course.  There are  two stations on in our crazyvan, KLOVE and ESPN .   I love listening to The Herd .  Colin Cowherd is just right up my alley.  My kids laugh at Steven A. Smith ,

African Flowers!

What started out as an innocent day of yarn organizing turned into an explosion of African Flowers .  I  had come to the sad realization that until I used up all of my yarn I would not allow myself to purchase any more yarn, I came to the same conclusion with my kitchen pantry.  So I thought about what I could do with all of these different yarns, each one was purchased to make a different project that I probably started and took apart or just didn't finish, I'm a closet starter non-finisher.  There. Now that is out in the open. So I thought about what to make and thought these colors would all look great together on a blanket.  But I needed something that would be instant gratification because I had the itch to make something.  So I went to my trusty Pinterest board and got to lookin'.  First pin on my board was an African Flower baby blanket. I thought, this could be fun.  I would be trying a new pattern and it could be done pretty quick.  I found gr