Skip to main content

Peace for the Seeker



I read something on Facebook that really upset me today.  So much so that I was ready to pack my family up and move to a cabin in Montana.  You know it was serious because I hate the cold. I started to get myself all riled up when a song popped into my head...

I lift up my eyes to the heavens Cause I know where my help comes from
I will set my mind upon You, Jesus
My Savior, God's only Son
There is peace for the seeker
Blessed hope from the Lord
There is love without measure
For all who trust in the Lord 


Praise God for that song because it immediately took me out of that doom and gloom cloud I was just about to pitch my tent in.   My heart then began to ache for all those who don't have this Peace.  This free gift from God.  Something so easily attainable.  "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."~ John 14:27

Without peace, people live in fear, some turn to fanaticism.   Fear leads to tyranny, whether social or spiritual.  When I watch the news or read the paper or just speak to friends, I'm easily sucked into the anxiety that this world lives in...war, guns, death, famine.  Then I'm reminded of Jesus' Words... "You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come."~ Matthew 24:6   I am once again reminded to be at peace. 

I think of all the things that I "think" bring me peace, a long run on a beautiful day or a quiet house with no fighting children.  And when I think of those things, I'm reminded that those are all just "moments" of peace, worldly peace.  In a while the children will be fighting, there won't be enough money and I'm back to eating ice cream straight out of the gallon.  But the gift of peace is constant.  When the children are yelling I ask the Lord to fill me with His peace.  When money runs out I'm reminded that He is the great provider.  When I'm eating the ice cream I say "thanks for that." Whether I chose to accept His precious gift is a whole other story. 

If you're in a place today, full of anxiety, hopelessness or fear, my prayer is that you lift your eyes up to heaven, because He is the Way, the Truth and the Life.
 

Comments

  1. Even in that cabin in the woods there are things to fear, so awesome that the Prince of Peace is always with us. Great reminder, Vanessa.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why Football Players Should Pick-up a Handicraft

This past week has been crazy in the world of sports, especially football.   Did you know that since this past Super Bowl 27 players have been arrested ? Three were just last week.  It's just crazy.  What's going on fellas? I mean seriously.  I get it.  Football is an extremely aggressive sport.  But why can't they leave all that crazy on the field?  When did it get like this?  Are there any classy players out there? I'm sure there are. Do you know who comes to mind when I think of classy football players? Rosie Grier .  Do you know him? My mom is always talking about him. He is a defensive lineman who played for the NY Giants from 1955-1962.  He also played with the Rams from 1963-67.  He would later become a body guard for Robert Kennedy.  Although he was not guarding Kennedy on the day of his assassination,  he was the one that took the gun from the assassin.   He was guarding Mrs. Kennedy that day.  There is your history lesson for the day.    He is not only kn

Trestle table!

I would like to apologize for skipping last week.  I really did want to post my progress on the Trestle table but I was so busy.  I can't really tell you what I was busy doing because frankly I don't recall.  I do know that I was too busy to get gas.  This afternoon, after I had strapped the boys in their seats I went to start my car, as I usually do when I need to go somewhere, and low and behold, it did not start.  I immediately diagnosed my car as needing an alternator.  Did you know I was a mechanic too?  Well, chaos ensued in our household and then my husband insulted me with the idea that I might not have any gas in the soccer van.  Of all the... I always have gas... I pay attention to what goes on around me...I'm not careless... 2 hours later... maybe I don't have gas.  Thank goodness for my mom who saved the day with...yup you guessed it... GAS! Sorry Marty.  Now. What was I talking about?  Oh, right.  The trestle table .  Let me tell you about this table. 

When Motherhood and Sorrow Meet

I've never been a loyal sports team fan like my brothers.  We were born and breed in NY.  My mom is a METS fan, my one brother Yankees, Knicks and Giants and my youngest brother strangely enough is a Broncos fan.  I'm more like my dad when it comes to sports.  My dad enjoys any sport that has a Puerto Rican on the team.  " ¿ Ve ese ah í ? ¡Él es boricua!" You see that guy there? He's Puerto Rican.  And that's pretty much how I have followed and enjoyed sports ever since.  I love hearing their stories and how they grew to love the sport they played, whether it be on the island or a local worn down ball field or court on the block.  More recently I have been following tennis thanks to Monica Puig.  Being the mother of two boys I decided to really get into sports, for their sakes of course.  There are  two stations on in our crazyvan, KLOVE and ESPN .   I love listening to The Herd .  Colin Cowherd is just right up my alley.  My kids laugh at Steven A. Smith ,